Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What do you mean I can’t have it all?

Welcome back on the journey towards becoming better leaders.
This week I learned about priorities. If you’re like me, you’re thinking “prio-what?”

PRIORITIES: working smarter, organizing, choosing, planning, 1st best, effectiveness

As I was reading John C. Maxwell’s words of research and wisdom, I realized that I have too many “must-do’s” that become “would-do’s” and “didn’t do”.
I have a hard time choosing the most important tasks and goals.
This results in me not accomplishing half of them: paralysis.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE organizing, making to-do lists & planning things
It’s the most important part I dread; the action.
I spend a lot of my time doing the easy prep work instead of doing IT
The slaying of dragon-fears, the scaling of mountains, the taking of first and next step.

Too much time is spent doing things right instead of doing the right things; there is a difference. One simply gets things done; the other is the foundation of success.

“The petty and the mundane steal much of our time” ~ John C. Maxwell

The expert also says that “leaders know how to get what they ought to want”
Now, that takes skills!
How do I know how to get it when I don’t even know what I want?
I don’t know what I want because I don’t know what to overlook.
Things that can be overlooked: those things that do not improve the Nancy brand.

As future world changers, we must take the first step towards achievement.
That is figuring out what we want. What do I want? What do you want?


I want a world where you and I share our resources, where strong feet work hard so that the little hands can benefit; as my Father meant it.

Once what we want is clear, it becomes about
prioritizing: refusing the good in favour of the best.
We can’t have it all.

I don’t want to learn too late what is really important. As an unknown author put it, “an infant is born with a clenched fist; a man dies with an open hand. Life has a way of prying free the things we think are so important”

What aren’t you willing to give up, if you can’t have everything?

2 comments:

  1. hmm interesting.. I love the part were u "Nancy brand" lol

    Music I can never give up music.. It's one of those things that make the "Abi Brand" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it's so important to define who were are and who we are not. The things we store up are the things that define us down the road.
    I'm loving the Abi brand :)

    ReplyDelete